Safeguarding Children Statement
The Dean Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Designated Safeguarding Lead Mrs Vallender 01942 510712
Safeguarding Link Governor Mrs Brammeier 01942 510712
Dean Trust Rose Bridge is a safe place for children, where our responsibilities for safeguarding children are taken seriously.
- Through our curriculum we teach the children about personal safety, and how to keep themselves safe from harm and through the fundamental promotion of British values.
- There is a strong anti-bullying ethos evident throughout the school. We teach our children how to recognise bullying, how to keep themselves safe from bullying behaviour and how to report it. We listen to our children.
- Our curriculum includes opportunities to discuss feelings and emotions, and helps our children to think about their own personal safety and their rights as individuals to be kept safe from harm.
- We teach our children about the uses and misuses of drugs, including legal highs, at an age appropriate time and level.
- Our sex education programme teaches our children about keeping themselves safe from harm, at an age appropriate level.
- We have clear guidance to help children to use the internet (including social media) safely and have appropriate filters in place to prevent pupils accessing inappropriate materials.
- Our policies and agreed practices for child protection, health and safety, behaviour management, attendance and looked after children all comply with the recommendations for safeguarding children at school. We have a trained designated safeguarding lead and deputy, and a designated governor with responsibility for safeguarding at the school.
- We have policies to manage potential allegations against staff, whistleblowing and the use of physical intervention. A list of the policies which support this statement is detailed below.
- Our staff recruitment policies and practices are rigorous and comply with safe recruitment and selection requirements. We always pursue identity checks and qualification checks and we take up and scrutinise written references before confirming employment.
- We require clearance form the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) before employing any staff, in addition to pursuing List 99 checks.
- All voluntary helpers, supply teachers, agency staff, and outside club and coaching staff are required to provide evidence of DBS clearance.
- The local governing body is regularly updated about child protection, bullying and safeguarding policies and practices.
- It is the responsibility of every adult in this school to ensure that we maintain the highest level of awareness about possible unsafe practices and deal with any issues immediately and appropriately.
References – Working Together to Safeguard Children (2018) Keeping Children Safe in Education (2018)
Policies which support the Safeguarding Statement:
- Safeguarding Policy
- Child Protection Policy including Child Abuse Policy
- Behaviour Policy including physical intervention
- Anti-bullying Policy
- Sex Education Policy
- Site Security Policy
- Safer Recruitment Policy
- Alcohol and Drugs Policy
- E-safety practice & procedures
- Trips and visits practice & procedures